Feels very heavy! Exciting! Holy! In the previous episode me and my friend August Lägervik pursued ice fishing … at a lake, six rods rigged with small roach and bigger roach for the other six in order to find out what size is best. Smaller roach resulted in 6 bites meanwhile the bigger ones resulted in only 3 bites. The biggest pike at 96 cm with the weigh of 5.1 kg took on a smaller roach. It’s a new day at a new lake and we’re curious to find out the result. It’s an early day two for our scientific study. This lake is quite similar to the previous lake however … we’ll be fishing at a place with various depths. Some rods will be placed at more shallow areas meanwhile others more pelagic. The bigger and smaller sizes of bait fish will be split equal on the rods as yesterday. Hopefully plenty of bites in order
for a more accurate study! Fishing before sunrise usually equals
more bites, so let’s hurry up! First bite for today on a big roach. It’s taking line. Great sign. Got it! A small pike but the roach is still on! First pike for today on a bigger roach.
Small pike but how fun! As you can see, smaller
pikes can also bite on bigger bait. Bite on a bigger roach, taking line! Hope it’s decent. Is it the biggest?
– Yes. Decent! A three kilo?
– 3 to 4 kg. A big roach just below the surface,
around 4 to 5 m of depth. Quite nice! Sounds like a bite?
– A bite on deadbait. Dead roach? Bye! It’s taking line – great sign! Check it out. Let’s hope for a big one. Probably not that big. Not too bad! Decent! Love ice fishing! Another bite! Tobbe’s three rods in this area are hot, he probably knew this! Like a 90 cm fish.
– Hold my rod meanwhile
I go after the other rod. Small roach. Just taking line! Small fish. I’m taking this with me. There we go. There we go. Ice fishing at it’s best. Two small ones, one bigger so far. Took on both small and big roach. Time to release them. Beautiful 5 kg pike.
– Could be 90 cm. I think it’s like 90 or 91 cm. Beautiful, let’s release this one as well. Bye!
– Awesome Tobbe! Great start!
– Let’s continue and hopefully I’ll land the next fish. I’ve had 5 bites so far in this scientific study.
– I missed two? Managed to land four of them. All of them on big roach. 4 bites on bigger roach, one on small. Big roach in the lead!
– Certainly for today! You’re leading compared to me. Everything is possible. A big one is enough.
– Exactly. We haven’t managed to catch a pig yet!
– I’ll be the one landing it. Was attaching the last roach but received a strike in the act! Just taking line! As you can see it’s on a smaller roach due to the marker. Taking line once again – check it out. Time for a hookset! There we go. Smaller fish? Not that big. Nice one as well, like a 4 to 5 kg fish. Insane. Check it’s belly out. Been feasting. Not too long, could be around 90 cm. Certainly above 5 kg. I’d prefer this condition on a
110 or 120 cm fish. The dream! Single treble hook to ease the process. Time to release this pike. Took on a small roach. Bye! I’m doing well today!
– Certainly yes. But I’m taking the biggest. A bite while drinking coffee.
– I need to get my final rod ready. Taking line?
– Yes. Big or small roach?
– Big. Better fish?
– Yes. Feels heavy. Holy! Not a small pike! Are you nervous? Wide neck! Nervous?
– Yes. How nervous?
– Very. Need some help? You got it! Holy! A pig. Quite long.
– Long and big. Could be a 8.5 kg fish, or perhaps 9 kg. Quite flat stomach sadly. Great length. We just have to measure it! I have the scale – could you go get the bag?
– I’ll get it. Keep it below the surface.
– Yeah, some negative degrees today. As the Swede I am, of course I’m using an Ikea bag! Could you hold it. 111 cm! Let’s weigh it. 8.3 kg. Lovely fish August!
112 cm. 8.4 kg with the bag, I believe the bag to weigh around 0.2 kg. High-five Tobbe! I’m exhausted.
My second biggest pike. Took on a big roach – important for our study. What’s it weighing? It’s not weighing much. Around 0.15 kg. The pike is therefor 8.250 kg!
– Great job, High-five! Sick pike. Was so fun. It feels like I’m worth this one. Fought hard last year. Finally a great fish. The amount of bites never allow me to relax.
Bite once again! Taking line. Big fish!
– Is it? Yes!
– You have the camera? Not that big!
– Should I help you?
No. Check this beautiful fish out
in the sunrise. Like a 4 kg. Off you go! What’s your take on the big fish?
– I just need check the footage out. I was excited!
– Awesome reaction when it’s head got visible. Head of a 10 kg pike. Perceived it to be a 10 kg fish.
– Me too, it had basis to be a 10 kg fish. Too thin however.
– Yeah, down the tail. It’s stomach was empty as well. It was a big and old fish.
– Certainly was. Bite on the same rod! What’s happening?
– Big roach! On the same rod as the big one! A perfect day. Everything is going well! Could be a small one. Taking line from my bloody reel. Smaller fish. Not too small though.
Not that small. The line got cut off. What happened? What if that occurred while fighting the big fish? 90 cm fish probably. This cannot happen! It’s probably a result from the sharp ice edges. You really have to take care of your line. I swapped gear and cut off some line two days ago. If I didn’t – the 8 kg fish could’ve been cut off. This happens. Right Tobbe?
– Sure does.
Feel bad for the fish. It’s having a hook in it’s mouth.
– It’ll rust away. Or someone catches it in the
future and removes the hook. Small hook, a size 4.
– That’s how it goes. Exactly but I have a backup rod as well. It’s Tobias from the future here once again. If you’re having a shop and would like to support us … and allow us to make more of these videos go contact [email protected] … and buy some baits for your shop. Like Flatnose, Fatnose, Hooligan Roach or Nettellaken etc. Some tools are also available. Great quality. Hang on, was that a bite? Has to be. Let’s go for it! A bite on Tobbe’s rod – a small roach.
– Take the camera. Small fish. The average size on smaller bait is low for the pike. Only a single decent pike on small roach today. Small pike but important for the statistics
in our scientific research. Bye bye! I’m doing a status report before
I forget the amount of bites. I’ve had 8 bites, August 3 bites. All of his bites are on bigger roach meanwhile 6 out of 8 bites on my rods are on bigger roach as well. In conclusion, we’ve had 11 strikes, 9 out of them are on bigger roach! Big bait prevails! We’re done fishing for today and our scientific experiment is over! We didn’t record this but we got plenty of bites on small roach at the later hours … great activity in the early hours but it started to cease in the later hours. Seems like the smaller roach were more hot. When the activity was high – in the morning, all of the fish were caught on big roach … however in the less eventful periods – smaller roach had more success. In total – 29 bites. 14 on big roach, 15 on small roach. The biggest one was caught on a big roach.
– Looks like a bite over there?
This is bite number 30, on a smaller roach as well.
– Hopefully a pig. There’s always a striking
period in the end of the session. Has taken line. Time to find out. It got spit out.
– Yeah but a bite! New result. 30 bites, 16 on small roach and 14 on big roach. This sample size is not enough to make a statement about the population in general. Hopefully you enjoyed this scientific experiment. If you did, press thumbs up … and you’d like more of these videos, comment your suggestions for the next video. Take care, don’t forget to subscribe to Kanalgratis, follow us on Instagram and Facebook. Links are in the description. Tight lines and be safe on the lake! Bye!